Saturday, September 13, 2008

Where Have I Been?

Tomorrow is the Race for the Cure in Mason. Our team, Spahr's Stars is over 120 people strong and in the top 20 of all teams for fundraising. I'm glad there are so many people supporting our team, we just all hate the reason for it. When Charleen learned she was sick in early August, everyone was so hopeful. I am still having a difficult time processing that she is no longer with us. Her funeral last Friday was one of the saddest demonstrations of love in which I have participated. The number of people whose lives she touched-family, friends, and students-is amazing. I still wish Joey had had the chance to be in her class-she was one of the reasons Joey goes to school with me. Charleen was passionate in her teaching and inspired her students to accomplish more than they dreamed. No educator has inspired me more in my own teaching. Tomorrow Spahr's Stars will walk in memory of Charleen Spahr instead of in support of her fight. It will be tough, but I think she would approve.

No comments: